…He is a New Creation (Paul’s Conversion)
This past week was our official end of the year! To finish our chronological walk through the Bible, we spent talked about the Apostle Paul’s conversion (found in Acts 9:1-22) and the idea of being a new creation in Christ. (The final Bible story lesson of the ABC Jesus Loves Me 3-Year Old Curriculum was on the “Wordless Book,” but I just couldn’t get excited enough about it to end on that note. It might work better for us when my kids are a little older.) Paul was certainly a changed man after his encounter with Christ along the road to Damascus, and while my children may never have such a dramatic conversion experience, the truth is that we ALL become a new creation in Christ. I tied the Bible story into our book of the week, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle to help illustrate the idea of being changed. Our memory verse was “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation,” from 2 Corinthians 5:17.
We told the story with our flannel board set and read it in Ian’s ESV Seek and Find Bible, as well as The Beginner’s Bible (by Karyn Henley). We also read The Very First Christians by Paul l Maier, which is full of beautiful illustrations and tells many of the major stories from the book of Acts.
Acts 9:8 says “Saul rose from the ground, and although his eyes were opened, he saw nothing. So they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus.” To help the boys get a sense of the story, I blindfolded them (one at a time) and led them around the room to try to find a specific object. Ian loved this game and promptly had me blindfold myself so he could lead me around as well.
To finish odd our Bible notebook for the year, I did the
laziest easiest page ever. I just printed off this fun page of the memory verse from Christian Preschool Printables. Ian really liked just spending time reading this to himself. Obviously not something we would do often, but once again, there’s room for grace.
Our iPod playlist was fun because we got to listen to a few songs from the old Bullfrogs & Butterflies albums, which went perfectly with our week:
- “The New Man Paul” from The Singing Bible
- “Acts 9” from the ESV Audio Drama Bible from Faith Comes By Hearing
- “Be Thou My Vision” from 100 Ways to Know God Loves me & 100 Songs to Love Him Back
- “I Saw the Light” from 100 Ways to Know God Loves me & 100 Songs to Love Him Back
- Karen & Kids podcast episode “A New Creation”
- “Bullfrogs and Butterflies” from the Bullfrogs & Butterflies CD God is My Friend
- “Jesus Gave Me Wings” from the Bullfrogs & Butterflies CD God is Great!
- “Floydd Frogg” from the Bullfrogs & Butterflies CD God is My Friend, God Loves Fun, I’ve Been Born Again, God is Great!
- “There’s Been a Metamorphasis” from the Bullfrogs & Butterflies CD God is Great!
- “I’ve Been Born Again” from the Bullfrogs & Butterflies CD I’ve Been Born Again
- “St. Paul The Man From Tarsus” from Adventures in Odyssey #23 Twists and Turns
- “St. Paul Set Apart By God” from Adventures in Odyssey #23 Twists and Turns
Whew! And that’s the end of our first full year of lessons! We’re going to spend some time talking about the Fruit of the Spirit this summer and then we’ll plunge back into another chronological journey through the Bible!